POSITION CONTROL NUMBER: 0000
555 STOCKTON STREET
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32204
WORK HOURS: 40 per week/non-exempt
This is a professional position in which the incumbent will provide prevention services that impede the development of substance abuse and promote responsible personal and social growth of individuals and families. The incumbent will act as liaison between Gateway and other agencies and respond to referrals of clients believed to have a substance abuse problem. Primary responsibility will be provide drug education within the community (Duval county schools, community centers, organizations, etc.), along with other duties assigned by the prevention program manager. The incumbent is responsible for effectively guiding school communities through comprehensive prevention planning efforts. Prevention services must be in accordance with the Substance Abuse Chapter 65D-30 and local policies.
The prevention specialist (1) is responsible to implement evidence-based programs related to alcohol, tobacco and other drugs and provide drug education to youth within the community; (2) participate in various community meetings or task forces to ensure proper representation of Gateway as a member of the DCF Prevention Service’s team; (3) work as a team within Gateway’s Prevention Department as well as with other health care professionals to assist in providing the best care possible for the prevention client; (4) participate actively in assessing and referring those clients with identified needs; (5) perform special projects and other Agency related assignments as requested.
Incumbent must possess a Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum of 1 year experience, preferably 2 years’ experience, working with high-risk children. The incumbent must have a valid driver’s license in accordance with the department of Motor Vehicles.
- Must be able to pass a level II DCF background screening
- Must be able to perform assigned work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to relate to adolescents, adults, families, referral sources and internal Gateway Team Members and must possess requisite competencies to effectively understand and provide appropriate services to the client population served
- Ability to maintain positive team approach
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment under stress situations
- Must have knowledge of the 12 step recovery process